Gharghur is one of the smallest and oldest towns of Malta - covering an area of 2 square kilometers - and with a tiny population of about 2,086 people. Situated a stone's throw from Naxxar it sits on the top of a hill between the two valleys of Wied id-Dies and Wied il-Kbir. The town is geographically one of the highest in Malta.
Historic reference of Gharghur date as far back as 1419 in the lists of the Militia that guarded the locals from pirate attacks. Also, a Muslim-style oven is still found in a private home in Sqaq Warda (Rose lane) and in the same alley one finds Arab-style decorations on one of the facades. Over the years, the settlements in the area suffered from severe de-population due to continuous pirate attacks.
In the year 1223 the citizens of Celano, from central Italy, were exiled by Emperor Frederick II and settled in Hal Gharghur. They built the town's oldest church, that of St. John (next to which one finds the town's graveyard). In 1612 the first parish priest Fr.John Baptist Chetcuti, immediately decided to build the parish church. Young Thomas Dingli, well known for the churches be built later, designed the structure, and work was started. The same Fr.Chetcuti who served the Gharghur parish for 56 years, was fortunate enough to see its completion.
Gharghur is a characteristically rural village and an important example of a typical Maltese village. The urban part of Gharghur is predominantly residential in character with a typical village core surrounding the prominent church and square. Commercial and retail activities are limited to local shopping provision mainly within the Church area. The narrow streets are laden with character homes and converted townhouses whose modest facades conceal fantastic homes abundant with the most charming features and sun drenched courtyards. The newer outskirts are home to small modern apartment blocks that overlook the surrounding rural countryside.
Gharghur still retains a natural delineation all around the village, separating it entirely from surrounding localities. The rural areas are of good quality agricultural land which provides for the quiet, serene atmosphere found within this locality. The village's particular rural setting and character is very much conserved and protected.